The Puzzle Universe: A History of Mathematics in 315 Puzzles (Hardcover)
The Puzzle Universe is intended for general readers and devoted puzzlers. It is about the latent beauty of mathematics, its history, and the puzzles that have advanced and emerged from the science of numbers. It is full of challenging historical facts, thinking puzzles, paradoxes, illusions, and problem solving.
There are 315 puzzles in this book. Extended captions explain in easy terms the value of the puzzles for mathematical and educational purposes, particularly in light of the findings of recent research. This historical and pedagogical dimension sets The Puzzle Universe apart from similar books.
The puzzles appear in a dynamic layout for a visual experience that is Ivan Moscovich's trademark. There are ten chapters complete with answers. Icons show the challenge rating and the tools needed (pencil, scissors, ruler, and of course, brain) to solve the puzzle.
The chapters are:
- Thinking about Playthinks and Your Brain
- Beginnings, Greek Math, Geometry and The Ahmes' Puzzle
- Primes, Magic Squares and Queen Dido's Problem
- Points, Topology and Euler's Seven Bridges Puzzle
- Knights And Queens, Cutting Cakes and The Mystery of the Pendulum
- Science, Dimensions, Randomness and The Tower Of Hanoi Puzzle
- Infinity, Impossible, Mixed Hats and Mixing Tea with Milk Puzzle
- Paradoxes, Cellular Automata, Hollow Cube and Night Crossing Puzzle
- Perception, Illusions, Parity and Puzzles about Truth and Lies of Ray
With this book, Ivan Moscovitch invites readers to join him in the puzzle universe, a pleasant environment of creative discovery, problem solving, fun and enjoyment.
About the Author
Ivan Moscovich is celebrated worldwide as one of the leading inventors and presenters of visual games and puzzles. He has more than 40 illustrated books to his credit, of which The Big Book of Brain Games has sold over one million copies and was translated into more than 20 languages. He is widely recognized as one of most innovative inventors in the toy industry.