Life Support: Invitation to Prayer (Graphic Medicine #13) (Hardcover)
Other Books in Series
This is book number 13 in the Graphic Medicine series.
- #1: Graphic Medicine Manifesto (Paperback): Email or call for price.
- #2: The Bad Doctor: The Troubled Life and Times of Dr. Iwan James (Graphic Medicine #2) (Paperback): $24.95
- #3: My Degeneration: A Journey Through Parkinson's (Graphic Medicine #3) (Paperback): Email or call for price.
- #4: Things to Do in a Retirement Home Trailer Park: . . . When You're 29 and Unemployed (Graphic Medicine #4) (Paperback): Email or call for price.
- #5: Aliceheimer's: Alzheimer's Through the Looking Glass (Graphic Medicine #5) (Paperback): Email or call for price.
- #6: The Walking Med: Zombies and the Medical Image (Graphic Medicine #6) (Hardcover): Email or call for price.
- #7: Hole in the Heart: Bringing Up Beth (Graphic Medicine #7) (Paperback): Email or call for price.
- #8: Taking Turns: Stories from Hiv/AIDS Care Unit 371 (Graphic Medicine #8) (Paperback): $29.95
- #9: The Facts of Life (Graphic Medicine #9) (Paperback): Email or call for price.
- #10: A Thousand Coloured Castles (Graphic Medicine #10) (Hardcover): Email or call for price.
- #11: Graphic Reproduction: A Comics Anthology (Graphic Medicine #11) (Paperback): Email or call for price.
- #12: Escaping Wars and Waves: Encounters with Syrian Refugees (Graphic Medicine #12) (Hardcover): Email or call for price.
- #14: The Lady Doctor (Graphic Medicine #14) (Paperback): $24.95
- #15: The Book of Sarah (Graphic Medicine #15) (Hardcover): $31.14
- #16: Vanni: A Family's Struggle Through the Sri Lankan Conflict (Graphic Medicine #16) (Paperback): $19.95
- #17: Us Two Together (Graphic Medicine #17) (Hardcover): $29.95
- #18: Uncanny Bodies: Superhero Comics and Disability (Graphic Medicine #18) (Hardcover): Email or call for price.
- #19: Menopause: A Comic Treatment (Graphic Medicine #19) (Hardcover): $29.95
- #20: Pathographics: Narrative, Aesthetics, Contention, Community (Graphic Medicine #20) (Hardcover): Email or call for price.
- #21: Algériennes: The Forgotten Women of the Algerian Revolution (Graphic Medicine #21) (Hardcover): Email or call for price.
- #22: The Third Population (Graphic Medicine #22) (Hardcover): $24.95
In this meditative, heartbreaking, and unexpectedly comforting book, artist and essayist Judith Margolis tells the story of her mother's illness, decline, and death through thoughtfully written vignettes, poignant drawings, and poetic, prayerful affirmations.
As her mother fights a series of health crises and faces the end of her life, Margolis documents her anxious concern and her father's turmoil while juggling responsibilities and her own distress. The resulting narrative, told with quiet intensity and candor, bears witness to contentious deliberations over medical decisions, the difficulties of patient care, and the complicated dynamics of family. In this book, designed to imitate a traditional Jewish prayer book, Margolis reminds herself and others caring for a dying parent to "pray"--pray for clarity, pray to stay centered, pray to forgive oneself--as a way of acknowledging and embodying the turbulent emotions involved. Both the form of the book and Margolis's rendering of the traditions involved in a family death ground Life Support firmly in the Jewish experience, providing a spiritual layer to this honest, realistic narrative that all readers will find inspiring and relevant.
Life Support: Invitation to Prayer is a unique testimony to the power of creative response to infirmity and careful documentation during times of personal loss, as well as a loving tribute to family, spirituality, and grief.
About the Author
Judith Margolis is the art editor of נשים / NASHIM, Journal of Jewish Women's Studies and Gender Issues, cocurator of Women of the Book, an international visual Torah midrash project, and creative director of Bright Idea Books.