Taking Turns: Stories from Hiv/AIDS Care Unit 371 (Graphic Medicine #8) (Paperback)
Other Books in Series
This is book number 8 in the Graphic Medicine series.
- #1: Graphic Medicine Manifesto (Paperback): Email or call for price.
- #2: The Bad Doctor: The Troubled Life and Times of Dr. Iwan James (Graphic Medicine #2) (Paperback): Email or call for price.
- #3: My Degeneration: A Journey Through Parkinson's (Graphic Medicine #3) (Paperback): Email or call for price.
- #4: Things to Do in a Retirement Home Trailer Park: . . . When You're 29 and Unemployed (Graphic Medicine #4) (Paperback): Email or call for price.
- #5: Aliceheimer's: Alzheimer's Through the Looking Glass (Graphic Medicine #5) (Paperback): Email or call for price.
- #6: The Walking Med: Zombies and the Medical Image (Graphic Medicine #6) (Hardcover): Email or call for price.
- #7: Hole in the Heart: Bringing Up Beth (Graphic Medicine #7) (Paperback): Email or call for price.
- #9: The Facts of Life (Graphic Medicine #9) (Paperback): $29.94
- #10: A Thousand Coloured Castles (Graphic Medicine #10) (Hardcover): Email or call for price.
- #11: Graphic Reproduction: A Comics Anthology (Graphic Medicine #11) (Paperback): Email or call for price.
- #12: Escaping Wars and Waves: Encounters with Syrian Refugees (Graphic Medicine #12) (Hardcover): $29.94
- #13: Life Support: Invitation to Prayer (Graphic Medicine #13) (Hardcover): $26.34
- #14: The Lady Doctor (Graphic Medicine #14) (Paperback): $24.95
- #15: The Book of Sarah (Graphic Medicine #15) (Hardcover): $31.14
- #16: Vanni: A Family's Struggle Through the Sri Lankan Conflict (Graphic Medicine #16) (Paperback): $19.95
- #17: Us Two Together (Graphic Medicine #17) (Hardcover): $29.95
- #18: Uncanny Bodies: Superhero Comics and Disability (Graphic Medicine #18) (Paperback): Email or call for price.
- #19: Menopause: A Comic Treatment (Graphic Medicine #19) (Hardcover): $29.95
- #20: Pathographics: Narrative, Aesthetics, Contention, Community (Graphic Medicine #20) (Paperback): Email or call for price.
- #21: Algériennes: The Forgotten Women of the Algerian Revolution (Graphic Medicine #21) (Hardcover): $24.95
- #22: The Third Population (Graphic Medicine #22) (Hardcover): $24.95
In 1994, at the height of the AIDS epidemic in the United States, MK Czerwiec took her first nursing job, at Illinois Masonic Medical Center in Chicago, as part of the caregiving staff of HIV/AIDS Care Unit 371. Taking Turns pulls back the curtain on life in the ward.
A shining example of excellence in the treatment and care of patients, Unit 371 was a community for thousands of patients and families affected by HIV and AIDS and the people who cared for them. This graphic novel combines Czerwiec's memories with the oral histories of patients, family members, and staff. It depicts life and death in the ward, the ways the unit affected and informed those who passed through it, and how many look back on their time there today. Czerwiec joined Unit 371 at a pivotal time in the history of AIDS: deaths from the syndrome in the Midwest peaked in 1995 and then dropped drastically in the following years, with the release of antiretroviral protease inhibitors. This positive turn of events led to a decline in patient populations and, ultimately, to the closure of Unit 371. Czerwiec's restrained, inviting drawing style and carefully considered narrative examine individual, institutional, and community responses to the AIDS epidemic--as well as the role that art can play in the grieving process.
Deeply personal yet made up of many voices, this history of daily life in a unique AIDS care unit is an open, honest look at suffering, grief, and hope among a community of medical professionals and patients at the heart of the epidemic.
About the Author
MK Czerwiec is a nurse who uses comics to contemplate the complexities of illness and caregiving. She is the artist-in-residence at Northwestern University's Feinberg School of Medicine, co-curator of GraphicMedicine.org, and co-author of Graphic Medicine Manifesto (Penn State, 2015).